Hune reminds residents to appeal tax assessments if necessary

For Immediate Release                 
March 12, 2013
Contact: Troy Tuggle

Hune reminds residents to appeal tax assessments if necessary

LANSING, Mich.—Sen. Joe Hune announced Tuesday that boards of review have begun analyzing tax assessments on persons that have appealed their assessment, and he would like to remind residents to appeal possible incongruities before it is too late.

Hune said that residents who believe their assessment is in error may appeal to their local board of review and, if necessary, the Michigan Tax Tribunal. No attorney is necessary.

Hune has included on his website a link to the “How to Effectively Appeal Your Property Tax Assessment” guide for additional information on this process. The guide, along with a willingness to explore all possible mistakes, may help residents obtain a favorable adjustment, the lawmaker said.

“Many miscalculations in tax assessments have happened over the years, and I am urging residents to appeal such assessments if they think there may be a mistake,” said Hune, R-Hamburg. “The boards of review try to review assessments as quickly as possible, and with the tax guide, residents may be able to save money this year.”

Taxable value is the most common item on tax returns that is incorrect or improperly calculated. Taxable value was introduced in 1995. It is the value used to calculate property taxes. Annual growth in taxable value is capped at the rate of inflation, or 5 percent, whichever is less.

The State Equalized Value (SEV) must still reflect 50 percent of a property’s true cash value and may increase (or decrease) by more than the rate of inflation or 5 percent in any tax year.

It is important to remember that property taxes are no longer based on the SEV. Changes to a home’s assessed value will reduce one’s taxes only if it is an amount lower than the taxable value.

You can find the How to Effectively Appeal Your Property Tax Assessment guide, as well as many other helpful guides, at Residents can also contact Hune’s office by emailing or calling toll free 855-JOE-HUNE.